optimize sqlippool scheme

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 14:41:13 CET 2012

On 01/12/2012 01:33 PM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> I avoid postgres like plague in the past due to vacuum :)
> It has autovacuum now, but the bad image remains. To be fair, it's
> probably similar with the way many people avoid mysql due to
> myisam-related issues :)

Funnily enough I avoid MySQL like the plague because of <list of things>

You're right of course. People must weigh the products and make their
own choice.

>> In all seriousness, It's worth noting that postgres does have the advantage
>> that "select ... for update" uses row-level locking, not table level. So,
>> you can allocate IPs without fear of duplication, transactionally.
>
> Really? Did you personally test it, running the select queries manually?

Yes. This is a core feature. Postgres has done row-level locking for
many, many years. We use it all over the place for lots of things.

> would end up locking only several rows. This is where ndb truly
> shines, as huge amounts of concurrent process with row locks (around

The multiple storage engine nonsense (just my opinion, of course) is one
of the many reasons I don't use MySQL.