Mixed Environment Question

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Mon Jan 30 20:34:38 CET 2012

Hmm RFC 5080 expounds a bit more on Clients and attribute processing:

   In general, it is best for a RADIUS client to err on the side of
   caution.  On receiving an Access-Accept including an attribute of
   known Type for an unimplemented service, a RADIUS client MUST treat
   it as an Access-Reject, as directed in [RFC2865] Section 1.1.  On
   receiving an Access-Accept including an attribute of unknown Type, a
   RADIUS client SHOULD assume that it is a potential service
   definition, and treat it as an Access-Reject.  Unknown VSAs SHOULD be
   ignored by RADIUS clients.
I'll have a word with Alan tomorrow, seeing as I know he helped author this one. Unknown VSAs with your vendor ID fine, but VSAs with a different vendor ID? Seems really stupid to me.

-Arran

a.cudbardb at networkradius.com

Technical consultant and solutions architect

15 Ave. du Granier, Meylan, France
+33 4 69 66 54 50