Secure Storage and Transport of User Credentials

Marco Macala marco.macala at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 15:04:58 CEST 2012

> if you dont trust the network then you will also need to looking at using
TLS to transport
> things around - eg RADSEC or a VPN tunnel.

isn't the point of PEAP that i don't need them because it is wrapped in an
encrypted communication?

> as for NT hash - yes, there are security issues but only if you have
access to them
> or expose them - if you bind the FreeRADIUS system to an AD and use eg
ntlm_auth then the NThash
> isnt accessed.

The thing is, i can't use AD to store the passwords. Specifically, i would
like to store the password as a salted hash.

I want something like this:
- encrypted channel between authenticator and radius server
- passwords stored as a salted hash