Configuring rlm_counter for gigaword

Jeff Wark jwark at tbaytel.net
Wed Jul 18 14:07:54 CEST 2012

I'm not sure what rlm_counter is, but the documentation for regular
accounting states:

*snip*
Modify FreeRADIUS Queries

Secondly, modify the accounting queries in sql.conf to make the SQL
database perform the computation that is required to merge the two
values sent as attributes by the NAS into one single 64-bit integer
stored in the database.

All occurences of '%{Acct-Input-Octets}' need to be replaced with:
'%{Acct-Input-Gigawords:-0}' << 32 | '%{Acct-Input-Octets:-0}'

The same thing needs to be done for '%{Acct-Output-Octets}':
'%{Acct-Output-Gigawords:-0}' << 32 | '%{Acct-Output-Octets:-0}'
*snip*

Found at http://wiki.freeradius.org/FAQ#Common-problems-and-their-solutions

Also, the database table must be able to hold the larger values.