Problems with Freeradius password encryption

alan buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 11:13:04 CEST 2012

Hi,

>    tool. I have two different machines with freeradius installed on them. In
>    one of them the test is going well for now, but in the other (where I'm
>    more interested on) the test fails with the following error:
>    rad_recv: Access-Reject packet from host 127.0.0.1 port 1812, id=50,
>    length=20
>    rad_verify: Received Access-Reject packet from client 127.0.0.1 port 1812
>    with invalid signature (err=2)!  (Shared secret is incorrect.)

the debug output is telling you exactly what is wrong....and because the User-Password
is encrypted using the shared secret, if it doesnt match, then test1 will become some
string of junk

check your clients.conf file (or NAS table if done via SQL entries) for the shared
secret for the local host - you may find that the new install has default...but your older
box that you are interested had it changed.

alan