IPv4 *and* IPv6 addresses for home_servers and failover

alan buxey A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 15:53:39 CEST 2012

Hi,

>   server_pool ja-net_pool {
>     type = client-balance
>     home_server = ja-net-roaming0_server
>     home_server = ja-net-roaming0_server6
>     home_server = ja-net-roaming1_server
>     home_server = ja-net-roaming1_server6
>   }

yes - but I wouldnt advise to do it that way - as all you are doing there is using
one client balance - with the alternates being the same server.... ie roaming0 or roaming-ipv6

- if roaming0 was down/dead then the ipv6 one is too.

so, better with eg

ja-net-roaming0_server6
ja-net-roaming1_server6
ja-net-roaming2_server6
ja-net-roaming0_server
ja-net-roaming2_server
ja-net-roaming3_server

..or actually, why bother with IPv4 - just go native...

ja-net-roaming0_server6
ja-net-roaming1_server6
ja-net-roaming2_server6

you might want to look at client-port-balance or the hashed balance method as you get more
spread through the remote proxies then.

also, keep the name in the config but add the IPv6/IP address in /etc/hosts

(also, dont forget that you'll need to add a listener to your virtual-server or radiusd.conf
too - you cannot have ipv4 and ipv6 listener in the same statement - you just add a second listener

alan