Upgrade or migration away from VMPS - what are my options?

Kaya Saman kayasaman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 09:10:31 CEST 2012

Hi,

since I've been having issues with the latest Cisco OS (version 15)
and VMPS not connecting properly what are my alternatives?

Sure I can stay on version 12.x if need be however, if we purchase
some new kit that **only** comes with version 15 I will have the same
issue as previously had with IP phones not registering etc....

I have been Google'ing a bit to attempt try to understand the
difference as I was told that VMPS was a subset of FreeRADIUS; the
only thing is that I'm quite new to this and just need some advice
and/or to be pointed in the right direction as of to what material to
start reading - additionally what I should be looking for.

So really to summarize, since VMPS is old and I have been told to move
away from it which system should I be looking at to automate vlan
distribution throughout the network and is there any chance of using
the already built MySQL VMPS database??

Regards,

Kaya