using windows 8's builtin eap-ttls w/ freeradius

Brian Gold bgold at simons-rock.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:05:37 CET 2012

We've been using SecureW2's client with our Freeradius server using EAP-TTLS/PAP authentication. From doing some very preliminary
testing with the Windows 8 consumer preview, I've noticed that MS is now including EAP-TTLS support directly in windows.
Unfortunately, I haven't had any luck getting this working yet. From looking over the radius logs, everything appears to be
authenticating correctly, but then windows sits at "Checking network requirements" for a few minutes before dying. Below are the
steps I have taken to configure windows to connect to our network so far. Has anyone else had luck with this yet?

1.	Open the "Network and Sharing Center" either through the control panel or by right clicking the network icon in your tray
2.	Click "Set up a new connection or network"
3.	Click "Manually connect to a wireless network"
4.	Enter the network name and choose WPA2-Enterprise for Security Type, then click Next
5.	Click "Change connection settings"
6.	Go to the security tab and choose "Microsoft EAP-TTLS" from the "Network Authentication Method" dropdown
7.	Click "Settings" and uncheck "Enable identity privacy"
8.	Click OK twice
9.	Click the wifi icon in your tray and choose your secure wireless network
10.	You will now be prompted for your username & password

Brian Gold
System Administrator
Bard College at Simon's Rock