Windows 7 prompting several times

David Mitton david at mitton.com
Mon Mar 5 18:50:48 CET 2012

I've seen such things if the authentication takes an extraordinary
length of time.  Windows EAP client expects a round trip on the order
of 30 seconds (or 60, ummm my memory is already fading...)  and if EAP
doesn't come back in that time, could abort the authentication.
Typically another will start right away.
This can be exacerbated by Cisco APs that use the Session-Timeout
value to kill the session rather than retransmit.

The orginal response will often be accepted when it arrives late.

Their is a caching option in the supplicant (Remember my credentials
checkbox  something like that) that can make some of this transparent.

Why do I know?  My SecurID EAP client had to stand on it's head and
dance around these constraints.

Dave. (not there anymore)