Conditional attributes with AD

Scott McLane Gardner sgardne at uark.edu
Tue Mar 6 19:28:27 CET 2012

>  You can configure AD as an LDAP server, and then do LDAP group checks.
> See the LDAP documentation for examples.
>
>  Alan DeKok.

I think the documentation is saying that LDAP can't be used with EAP. Is
that what it's really saying? It's a little unclear since it says "The
solution is to use the default configuration, which does work."

#  However, LDAP can be used for authentication ONLY when the
#  Access-Request packet contains a clear-text User-Password
#  attribute.  LDAP authentication will NOT work for any other
#  authentication method.
#
#  This means that LDAP servers don't understand EAP.  If you
#  force "Auth-Type = LDAP", and then send the server a
#  request containing EAP authentication, then authentication
#  WILL NOT WORK.
#
#  The solution is to use the default configuration, which does
#  work.
#
#  Setting "Auth-Type = LDAP" is ALMOST ALWAYS WRONG.  We
#  really can't emphasize this enough.