Using freeRadius with OTP and gateway

Cornelius Kölbel cornelius.koelbel at lsexperts.de
Thu Mar 8 08:22:09 CET 2012

Hello Mercier,

the interesting part about your idea is, that the user sends the SMS to
authenticate, this avoids that you will have to pay for the SMS.
Most solutions send the SMS with the OTP to the user, so that you - the
provider - will have to pay for the SMS sending.
Nevertheless you might take a look at LinOTP, which does one time
password authentication and come with a freeradius module, so that
integration in your scenario could be rather simple. Also in this case
the RADIUS server does not know the users, but the auth request (with
user and OTP) is forwarded to the linotp daemon, which in turn is able
to verify the username and the provided OTP. The users can be fetched
from any flat file and/or LDAP and/or SQL database.
Only drawback for your case is the thing with "who sends the sms".

Kind regards
Cornelius