How to configure FreeRadius as Captive Portal

Tim White timwhite88 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 00:35:31 CET 2012

On 13/03/12 07:33, ulislam.raihan wrote:
> 192.168.2.X. I am planing to write a small module in Java . Whn a device
> attached to  Access Point. It will get IP from192.168.1.X and all the
> request from this ip range will go to the java  program. It will get the
> user name and password from the user and then do the authentication with the
> Radius server. Afrer  authentication is done then the DHCP server will
> change IP address of the that device.
Hi Raihan.

I suggest you look at something like Coova Chilli. It uses a Radius
server to authenticate users, but does the captive portal. You can use
any access point with it, and it'll run fine on the same machine as
Freeradius. I don't suggest reinventing the wheel if you can avoid it.
If you are totally new to radius/captive portals etc, I suggest checking
out the Grase Hotspot project, all you need is a machine with 2 network
cards, install a base debian or ubuntu distro, and then install the
Grase Hotspot packages on top. It'll setup the Freeradius for you, with
Coova Chilli and a nice admin interface.

Tim

Dislaimer: The Grase Hotspot is my project, there are other hotspot
systems out there with Freeradius and Coova Chilli, but some are hard to
setup.