Very large environment depending on FreeRadius

Christiaan Rademan christiaan.rademan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 08:38:21 CET 2012

Greetings guys,

Need advice  before going live:

I have deployed a FreeRadius server in an environment with 2,491,000
subscribers.

GGSN 2,491,000 MSISDN subscribers. 3 APN(s).
1 APN will be authenticated locally: 830 000 subscribers
1 APN will be proxied for: 1,660,000 subscribers
1 APN another will be proxied for: 1,660,000 subsicbers.

BRAS for PPPOE is 1000 subscribers.

We tested the configuration and it was working, with attribute filters
on proxy etc.. for all our requirements.

Using MYSQL Backend and SQL IP Pool to hand out IP addresses for
localally authenticated.

Also have a secondary standby FreeRadius, with mysql replication using a
bunch of additional scripts I wrote to handle redundancy and consistency
checks.

The system is running live for the 1000 subscribers.

We about to swing over the 2,491,000 mobile subscribers...

Can you please advice me on anything I should watch out for or plan for?

Should I be worried about tuning the ports? listening on multiple ports
for auth+acct? anything strange?

Any tips??? :-) go mad, i need to ensure this runs smoothly...

System is running on Ubuntu Linux Server.

--
Christiaan Rademan - JNCIE #661

Mobile: +27 83 419 2078
E-mail: christiaan.rademan at gmail.com