FR on RHEL

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Thu May 24 15:03:49 CEST 2012

On 05/24/2012 07:22 AM, Tobias Hachmer wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> the red hat faq on http://wiki.freeradius.org/Red-Hat-FAQ supposes that
> the newest version of FR is in the official channel.
> Here on a RHEL6 server there is only version 2.1.10 in the repo (and
> only the base package, not the additional modules like mysql, ldap and
> so on):

If the FAQ suggests the latest version of FreeRADIUS will always be
available on RHEL then that is erroneous. If you could point out what
made you believe that I'll edit the FAQ.

However we do a very good job in RHEL with keeping the version of
FreeRADIUS current given RHEL policies. For stability reasons RHEL
strongly discourages version upgrades (i.e. rebase). There is also a
practical limit to how many changes can go into any given RHEL update
due to the QE and documentation that accompanies every change. We fought
hard to get special dispensation for FreeRADIUS in RHEL and for the last
several years we've managed to rebase FreeRADIUS in the quarterly
updates for RHEL 5 and RHEL 6. For some this might seem like it's no big
deal, you just rebuild it right? Not in an Enterprise Distribution like
RHEL, Enterprise has completely different and vastly more stringent
requirements (one reason whey RHEL and it's clones are so popular).
Given the difficulty of getting a package rebase into an Enterprise
release you should not expect every RHEL version to have the latest
version of FreeRADIUS. In fact any expectation that any RHEL release
will have the latest release of any package is misplaced, it's
completely counter to the design goals of RHEL whose preeminent goal is
stability. This is why what we've done with FreeRADIUS in RHEL is
exceptional, very few packages get this special treatment.

To answer your specific question, the next RHEL 6 update, 6.3 contains
the latest FreeRADIUS 2.1.12 release plus a number of bug fixes (some of
which have already been sent upstream to Alan, some were pulled from
Alan's git repo, and the remainder will be sent upstream to Alan
shortly, we always send our fixes upstream in a community minded fashion.

The last update of RHEL 5 also included FreeRADIUS 2.1.12.

All the subpackages for freeradius (e.g. freeradius-mysql) are
available. If you're not seeing them for some reason please contact your
RHEL technical support representative, that's what they're there for.
It's what your paying for with your subscription, use it.

HTH,

John

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>