Accounting and DialupAdmin

Erich Titl erich.titl at think.ch
Thu Nov 8 17:26:17 CET 2012

Hi gents

FR 2.0

I added a user to my datebase using the dialup_admin interface. The
radcheck table shows the following

mysql> select * from radcheck
    -> ;
+----+----------+---------------+----+------------------------------------+
| id | username | attribute     | op | value                              |
+----+----------+---------------+----+------------------------------------+
|  2 | test     | NT-Password   | := | 7CE21F17C0AEE7FB9CEBA532D0546AD6   |
|  4 | test1    | User-Password | := | $1$SQZqMcWE$doZxYeK1Sb24QQJvmYpYm0 |
+----+----------+---------------+----+------------------------------------+

Now this is interesting. I can log in using the test account with the
NT-Password attribute. The one created by dialup_admin with the name of
test1 and the attribute User-Password cannot be used from the same M$
Windows 7 PC, as was to be expected from the compatibility table.

I looked into admin.conf and found

#
# can be one of crypt,md5,clear
#
general_encryption_method: crypt

this appears to be used by the GUI

Now with MSCHAP this appears not to work simply out of the box. Does one
need to hack that code or is there a canonical way to be used for M$ W7
(P)EAP authentication?

Thanks

Erich