freeradius retransmit of EAP-TTLS start packet with incorrect packet id

list at securew2.com list at securew2.com
Mon Nov 19 17:05:25 CET 2012

Hi,

I am still waiting on the freeradius logs from the customer experiencing
this problem, but I was wondering if anyone had ever seen the following
before or have any ideas what may be causing it:

1. EAP-TTLS client sends the EAP-Identity (packet id 2)
2. EAP-TTLS client receives the EAP-TTLS-Start (packet id 2)
3. EAP-TTLS client sends the EAP-TTLS-ClientHello packet (packet id 3)
4. EAP-TTLS Client receives the EAP-TTLS-Start (packet id 4)

Issues:

1. why is it receiving the EAP-TTLS-Start again
2. why is it receiving it with an incorrect packet id

The customer does not have session resumption enabled and the config is
very basic.

Furthermore this does not happen all the time leading me to believe this
might be a retransmit issue between the access point and freeradius, maybe
during high load.

Thanks,

SecureW2