Statistics on EAP methods widely used

Panagiotis Georgopoulos panos at comp.lancs.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 23:13:43 CET 2012

Hi Phil,

	Thanks for your reply.

> Sorry, but you're misunderstanding the stats, or reading too much into
them.

> These are EAP types from EAP *packets*, not sessions. And, as I said, it
> excludes our *own* users (i.e. it's just visitors) which removed several
> hundred thousand PEAP packets from the count.
>
> EAP-Identity doesn't count as an auth type; there is one EAP packet for
every
> session, at the start.
>
> If you exclude the Identity packets (type 1) and NAK packets (type 3) you
> have:
>
>         91 0d
>       4848 15
>      35801 19
>
> This is 87% PEAP. However, this is still *packets*. It takes no account
> of sessions, of the client re-auth times, TLS session resumption, and so
> forth, and is still just for visitors.

You are right Phil, I didn't get that these were counters for packets. My
comment was merely on the fact that I am unable to find some related
statistics and that people mention online their "feeling" about
deployed/used EAP methods but there is no such survey/analysis available.

> I'm afraid I don't have time to do more detailed processing. But really,
> you would want to "unique" any stats by client (Calling-Station-Id)  and
> EAP-type, and measure "EAP type client days" or something.

Fair enough, thanks a lot for the insight,
Panos