dhcp/bootp server filename

Lev Bronshtein bronshtein.lev at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 04:46:22 CET 2012

FreeRadius 2.2.0
Redhat Linux 6.2
Please forgive me in advance if some of the things I say seem to
be generalities and not per RFC, the firm where I work has recently decided
to start using freeradius DHCP as DHCP server and I am the
programmer/integrator/project lead for the entire thing.  Our preliminary
tests were very successful, we were able to hand out leases to various
clients and also various options as well.  However when it came to PXE Boot
we sem to have run afoul of either my lack of knowledge or Microsoft going
out of their way to "help" network admins.  Here is the problem, as
expected I have set option 66 -- DHCP-TFTP-Server-Name and option 67
DHCP-Boot-File-Name, however tge PXE boot process has not been completed
and we get an error message PXE-E32 and according to this article
http://www.bootix.com/support/problems_solutions/pxe_e32_tftp_open_timeout.html
we
have to set option 066 next server.  However this is not what option 66 is.
 Looking at the tcp dump that was produced on the freeradius server I can
see that "next server" field is the same as the "DHCP-Server-Identifier",
and while changing this value to the one of the TFTP server also changed
the next server field as expected it also broke dhcp.  Also the people who
have successfully booted their PXE hardware in the lab sent me a a pcap
where clearly the next server and Identifier are clearly different and also
the boot-file-name is set as well, where as in my pcap I only see it in the
dhcp options not in boot options header (I must clarify at this point that
I am using ethereal to decode and read packets).  Which is why I am
thinking that options 66 and 67 are not used for PXE boot, but microsoft
dhcp seeing those options also takes care of backword compatibility, and so
as far as everyone in windows land is concerned they need to set options 66
and 67.  Can anyone help please?

Regards,

Lev Bronshtein

P.S. I figured out that I ned to set both DHCP-Server-Identifier and
DHCP-Server-IP-Address, which gave me the next-address.  However I still
can't figure out the boot file option