802.1x Issue

Matthew Newton mcn4 at leicester.ac.uk
Fri Nov 30 23:07:55 CET 2012

On Fri, Nov 30, 2012 at 09:18:13PM +0000, Brekler Custodio wrote:
> Its better to make a new DB with new passwords on EAP and use a
> .bat + xml profile to configure windows notebooks.

Rather than .bat + xml to do it, there are more user-friendly
front-ends available. The main eduroam one (but not limited to
eduroam of course) is su1x (http://sourceforge.net/projects/su1x/).

I found that had too many features for my liking, and it does
confuse some of our users (we still use it at the moment). I put
together an MSI installer instead (warning - not well tested)
https://github.com/mcnewton/edusetup which is intended to be
simpler to use - it follows what they usually expect for an
"install".

It depends on your user base, but giving a .bat file to our users
just wouldn't work (they seem to find it hard enough to follow
instructions on how to run a .exe)...

Of course, if they are managed Windows devices (especially as part
of a windows domain), then EAP-TLS can also be another good
option.

Matthew

--
Matthew Newton, Ph.D. <mcn4 at le.ac.uk>

Systems Architect (UNIX and Networks), Network Services,
I.T. Services, University of Leicester, Leicester LE1 7RH, United Kingdom

For IT help contact helpdesk extn. 2253, <ithelp at le.ac.uk>