Upgrade to 2.2.0

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 17:19:10 CEST 2012

On 10/09/2012 10:23 AM, Morris, Andi wrote:
> I’ve just updated my freeradius servers from 2.1.7 to 2.1.12 via yum
> update and it worked like a charm, I’d always been a little nervous to
> do this until now.  This has given me the confidence to look into
> upgrading the servers from the source files to get up to 2.2.0.
>
> Reading the README and the INSTALL file from within the tar.gz file I
> can see that I need to run
>
> ./configure
>
> make
>
> make install
>
> Firstly running ./configure failed because my server (CentOS 5.5) didn’t
> have a C compiler installed.  I installed GCC via yum, and on we go.
>
> Now the configure.log tells me I don’t have make installed.  I installed
> that via yum, and on we go.
>
> Now configure seems to be going along like the clappers, quicker than I
> can read the output to look for errors.
>
> I then ran make, which also seemed to go along just fine.
>
> Then make install, and likewise, nothing obviously wrong.
>
> However when I ran the service in debug mode I can see that it hasn’t
> been touched by the installer and is still running version 2.1.12, and
> working.

If in fact your build actually succeeded you still have a problem with
the install step. By default configure will produce a build
configuration that installs into /usr/local (so as not to interfere with
system installations) and this won't be anything the service command
would see (because it's not installed in a normal system location.

If you really want to build for Red Hat based systems I suggest you
build rpms locally. You can install locally built rpms via "yum
localinstall".

The process to build a local rpm is detailed in the FreeRADIUS wiki page
"Red Hat FAQ" (which apparently has moved, maybe someone can provide a
pointer).

By using a rpm spec file to build rpms from you'll get all the nasty
details of correct building handled for you. There are 2.2 rpms
available for Fedora. Just be aware spec files are also tuned for
specific Red Hat releases, you'll need to understand the differences
between Fedora and RHEL 5. All in all it can be non-trivial to get all
the details of building and installing a system daemon correct, this is
why we normally recommend folks use pre-build packages for their
distribution.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>

Looking to carve out IT costs?