EAP-TLS Machine-Auth Windows: difference between LAN and WiFi

David Mitton david at mitton.com
Thu Oct 11 15:45:19 CEST 2012

I'm sorry, I don't have time right now to help you, but you are on the
right track.  Windows has a feature "Machine Authentication" where the
station authenticates (using the $hostname and a secret credential
created at domain join) with a Domain controller before the user login.
On an hardwired ethernet connection that happens in the background at boot.
On a dynamic connection like Wi-Fi that is an option, if the EAP
supplicant module supports it. (Most did not in the past)  The control
for this has mutated between XP and later.

In Vista and Win7 this got more complicated, as you see there are XML
files called "profiles" that control these behaviors.  They are a bit
difficult to figure out at first (the documentation sucks and is
probably wrong at points)
but if you burrow in and experiment a bit, you might get it figured out.
There are command line tools for dumping the profiles and tweaking on
the settings that the GUIs don't get to.

Once you get what you want settled, you can also create domain
policies and push them to all stations that way.

Sorry, I don't have enough time to look up my old notes.
Dave.