simple question about auth-type PAP

Fajar A. Nugraha list at fajar.net
Wed Sep 5 05:16:07 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 9:47 AM, opensource at tigusoft.pl
<opensource at tigusoft.pl> wrote:
> users can not log in, from radius logs it would appear as if chilli login form
> for the user sends the password in some encrypted format (eap?)

Nope

> while Radius only wants to use it as cleartext (despite configuration
> "authorize{...}" section allowing other types, as it is default).
> The radius secret is the same in radius and chilli.

Most likely they're not the same.

> Radius logs show:

> root at hotspot:/etc/freeradius# freeradius  -X
> FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.10, for host x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, built on Nov 14 2010
> at 21:12:30
> (...)

You cut the log. Don't do that unless you absolutely know what you're
doing. In this case, the actual access-request packet received is
important

>   WARNING: Unprintable characters in the password.        Double-check the
> shared secret on the server and the NAS!

Most likely that's the problem.

If you DON'T cut the debug log, you'll be able to see what FR thinks
the shared secret should be, and you can double-check it in your NAS.
Often user edit the wrong file, thinking they've set the correct
shared secret, when in fact they haven't.

> Why Auth-Type was found to be PAP

It's determined from whatever the NAS sends

>, is it said in the RADIUS packet?

If you see User-Name and User-Password in access-request packet, then
it's PAP. That's why I said access-request packet is important. Don't
cut it.

> # egrep -v " *#" /etc/freeradius/clients.conf | egrep -v "^ *$"
>
> client localhost {
>         ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
>         secret          = testing123
>         require_message_authenticator = no
> }

What does the debug say?

Also, is the NAS REALLY localhost? i.e. you run chillispot in the SAME
server as FR?

--
Fajar