LDAP module file using localhost instead of external?

Jennifer Mehl mehl at chem.ucsb.edu
Tue Sep 11 19:37:59 CEST 2012

> On 09/10/2012 11:47 PM, Jennifer Mehl wrote:
>
>> Here is the output of freeradius -X showing part of the file being read but then ignored?:
>
> It doesn't look to me like it's ignoring it, which in any event the
> server doesn't do. It looks like it's just a different file. It's not
> just the hostname that is different. For example:
>
>>  Module: Instantiating module "ucsbnetid" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/ldap
>> 	server = "localhost"
>> 	filter = "(uid=%u)"
>> 	base_filter = "(objectclass=radiusprofile)"
>

>> Here is my /etc/freeradius/modules/ldap file (password obfuscated):
>>
>>        server = "directory.ucsb.edu"
>>        filter = "(uid=%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{User-Name}})"
>>        base_filter = "(objectclass=ucsbperson)"
>> 	#base_filter = "(objectclass=radiusprofile)"
>
> ...amongst (many) others.
>
> You *can't* be editing the same file. Do you have chroot or jails or
> similar in use, and if so are you editing the file inside the
> chroot/jail or outside? Are you sure you're not leaving backup "file~"
> from editors in the directory?

Aha, good advice that got me on the right track.  Copy/paste foils again:

deca:/etc/freeradius/modules# file ldap
ldap: UTF-8 Unicode English text

I created a new file as ASCII English text and typed everything in manually, and it is now reading my file properly.

Now, on to the next part of the troubleshooting process. :-)

thank you,
Jennifer

Jennifer L. Mehl
Director of Information Technology