EAP-SIM on 2.2.0

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Sep 12 15:59:02 CEST 2012

On 12/09/12 14:32, Francois Gaudreault wrote:
> Hi again,
>
>>> This is your problem. This is an EAP-AKA/SIM "Client error" packet.
>>>
>>> 02 - eap response
>>> f7 - ID
>>> 000c - length
>>> 12 - EAP-SIM
>>> 0e - subtype 14 - client error
>>> 000016010000 - client error junk
>> Hmmm interesting.  But how can it be working on 2.1.12 with the exact
>> same client and config?  Maybe I can retry with 2.2.0 and see if I still
>> get this error on multiple retries.  I'll get back to you.
> No go with 2.2.0, tried with multiple clients.  I got you a trace from
> 2.1.12, maybe you can see the difference:

The difference is obvious - in this trace, the client doesn't return an
error.

You're also testing with a different IMSI - despite you having "hidden"
the IMSI, it's there in the hex:

working:

'\x0031302720305934953 at wlan.mnc720.mcc302.3gppnetwork.org\x00'

failing:

'\x0031302720404413890 at wlan.mnc720.mcc302.3gppnetwork.org\x00'

If you're going to test and compare, test with the same equipment.

My wild guess is you have a problem with SIM secret storage, maybe
filesystem permissions or similar.