captive portal auth with freeradius

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Apr 19 14:04:51 CEST 2013

Chitrang Srivastava wrote:
> After that it started working  i.e. auth by binding to the ldap server

  So... the LDAP server is probably active directory.  Or, there are
security settings on it which means FreeRADIUS can't read the password
from LDAP.

  Which one is it?

> But my question is auth by binding to ldap server is good enough to
> authenticate ?

  No.  That's the whole reason people use FreeRADIUS.  Because it
authenticates people.  LDAP is a database, not an authentication server.

> because I expected authentication via mschapv2 or gtc
> (whatever i configured) , radtest and wifi authenticate like that . I
> guess its not in control of radius since captive portal is not sending
> EAP message. Does all other captive portal server works like that with
> radius ?

  No.