Digest using an external database for the Password

Mike Brennan mbrennan at thrupoint.com
Thu Apr 25 09:27:23 CEST 2013

Hi

I am running version 2.1.12.

I want to use FreeRadius in the following way:

   - Use Digest Authentication
   - The password is stored in an external database (it has a complicated
   schema) that I am connecting to via sql.conf.
   - I want to extract the password from this database so that it can be
   used in Digest Authentication (SIP – using RFC 4590)

Now I have tested FreeRadius with the radclient using digest authentication
by placing the Cleartext-Password in the users file – this worked.

Is it possible to get the Cleartext-Password (or is it the User-Password)
from my external database through authorize_check_query ?

If so, how do I assign this attribute to the value returned in my query? I
can’t store any information in my external database as I am not allowed to
create any tables

The following query would return the password – can I use it in
 authorize_check_query?

authorize_check_query="SELECT password FROM fusion.cdm_credentials WHERE
person_id=(SELECT person_id FROM fusion.cdm_person WHERE
user_name='%{User-Name}');"

As you can see in the query I have to use password as it is a column entry
in my database

There is a similar mechanism for LDAP where you can use the
passsword_attribute

Or am I totally off track?

Thx

Mike

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential
and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or
communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting it from your computer. Thank you. Thrupoint, Inc.
nXaR2cC3