pptpd+freeradius+ldap: which password encryption can I use?

Alberto Aldrigo aaldrigo at ca-tron.com
Tue Apr 30 12:11:39 CEST 2013

Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to setup a PPTPD server which would authenticate users using
my openLDAP user database, in doing so I need freeradius.
By now the only setup that actually works is: users in LDAP with clear
text password.
Obviously I want to use some kind of encryption for passwords and I
don't like the solution of using cleartext passwords and the use of a
specific user allowed to access to the password attribute, so my
question is: which other possibilities I have?
Looking to this table
http://deployingradius.com/documents/protocols/compatibility.html I
understand that I can use pap + sha1 but I can't understand how. Can
anyone help me understand what is possible and what not?
Many thanks

Alberto