returning a HEX String as a HEX String (bit string) instead of the decimal equivalent - FreeRADIUS 2.1.10

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Tue Aug 6 00:59:36 CEST 2013

On 5 Aug 2013, at 23:39, Andy <andy at brandwatch.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This is my first post here so please excuse any missed etiquette.
>
> I have read through the wiki's and googled a lot and not found anything.

http://wiki.freeradius.org/vendor/HP#RFC-4675-(multiple-tagged/untagged-VLAN)-Assignment

*sigh*

> I have been trying configure our switch ports (HP 2910al) with Tagged VLANs via Egress-VLANID and Egress-VLAN-Name.
>
> The Radius backend is OpenLDAP, and I have tried setting the data type in OpenLDAP to binary, UTF-8 and IA5, but no matter what I do, the value returned by RADIUS is the decimal equivalent of the HEX bit string I enter :(
>
> For example I'm trying to store and send 0x31000012 to indicate a tagged VLAN (0x31) on VLAN 12. But looking at freeradius -X output I can see it sending the decimal number, when the switch wants the bit string as it was stored, and hence throws an error!

No. The HP switch does not care that FreeRADIUS displayed (but later encoded correctly) your hex string as an integer.

It does care that you don't seem to understand how to convert decimal numbers to hex and are actually specifying VLAN 18 tagged, which probably doesn't exist if you're getting errors.

You want 0x3100000C for VLAN 12 tagged.

-Arran