rlm_python

stefan.paetow at diamond.ac.uk stefan.paetow at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Aug 20 15:27:41 CEST 2013

Hello all,

I'm currently attempting to use rlm_python to query LDAP (with python-ldap) and then return an XML string in a VSA (SAML-AAA-Assertion). However, when I try to load it, I get the dreaded "undefined symbol: PyExc_SystemError" error. This is on Ubuntu 12 with, I know, I know, FreeRADIUS 2.1.10. Python-LDAP was built on the local machine for the newest version (although the existing version in the Ubuntu repository has the same problem).

Freeradius_samlldap exists in the correct path for Python eggs, and this is the PYTHONPATH (when I print it with Python):

/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pysaml2-0.4.2-py2.7.egg,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/repoze.who-1.0.18-py2.7.egg,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/zope.interface-4.0.5-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/Paste-1.7.5.1-py2.7.egg,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/httplib2-0.8-py2.7.egg,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/decorator-3.4.0-py2.7.egg,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/freeradius_samlldap-0.0.1-py2.7.egg,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/python_ldap-2.4.13-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg,/etc/freeradius/modules,/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages,/usr/lib/python2.7,/usr/lib/python2.7/plat-linux2,/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-tk,/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-old,/usr/lib/python2.7/lib-dynload,/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages,/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.7

>From what I understand, using ldd -r will list several unresolved imports, but that is supposedly correct? Or is that horribly wrong?

The usual debug log is below:

FreeRADIUS Version 2.1.10, for host x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, built on Sep 24 2012 at 17:58:57
Copyright (C) 1999-2009 The FreeRADIUS server project and contributors.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
You may redistribute copies of FreeRADIUS under the terms of the
GNU General Public License v2.
Starting - reading configuration files ...
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/radiusd.conf
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/proxy.conf
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/clients.conf
including files in directory /etc/freeradius/modules/
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/attr_rewrite
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/wimax
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/linelog
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/saml
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/etc_group
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/echo
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/sqlcounter_expire_on_login
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/mschap
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/files
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/opendirectory
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/mac2ip
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/realm
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/perl
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/logintime
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/pap
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/detail.example.com
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/smbpasswd
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/sradutmp
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/policy
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/inner-eap
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/dynamic_clients
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/smsotp
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/umbrella_ldap
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/acct_unique
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/attr_filter
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/chap
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/detail
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/ntlm_auth
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/detail.log
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/passwd
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/ldap
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/cui
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/otp
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/ippool
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/mac2vlan
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/unix
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/exec
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/expr
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/expiration
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/preprocess
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/digest
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/radutmp
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/counter
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/krb5
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/pam
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/checkval
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/sql_log
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/modules/always
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/eap.conf
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/policy.conf
including files in directory /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/umbrella-inner
including configuration file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/umbrella
main {
        user = "freerad"
        group = "freerad"
        allow_core_dumps = no
}
including dictionary file /etc/freeradius/dictionary
main {
        prefix = "/usr"
        localstatedir = "/var"
        logdir = "/var/log/freeradius"
        libdir = "/usr/lib/freeradius"
        radacctdir = "/var/log/freeradius/radacct"
        hostname_lookups = no
        max_request_time = 30
        cleanup_delay = 5
        max_requests = 1024
        pidfile = "/var/run/freeradius/freeradius.pid"
        checkrad = "/usr/sbin/checkrad"
        debug_level = 0
        proxy_requests = yes
 log {
        stripped_names = no
        auth = no
        auth_badpass = no
        auth_goodpass = no
 }
 security {
        max_attributes = 200
        reject_delay = 1
        status_server = yes
radiusd: #### Loading Realms and Home Servers ####
 proxy server {
        retry_delay = 5
        retry_count = 3
        default_fallback = no
        dead_time = 120
        wake_all_if_all_dead = no
 }
 realm umbrellaid.org {
 }
 realm LOCAL {
 }
 realm NULL {
 }
radiusd: #### Loading Clients ####
 client localhost {
        ipaddr = 127.0.0.1
        require_message_authenticator = no
        secret = "testing123"
        nastype = "other"
 }
 client 192.168.0.0/16 {
        require_message_authenticator = no
        secret = "testing123"
        shortname = "diamond-umbrella"
 }
radiusd: #### Instantiating modules ####
 instantiate {
 Module: Linked to module rlm_exec
 Module: Instantiating module "exec" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/exec
  exec {
        wait = no
        input_pairs = "request"
        shell_escape = yes
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_expr
 Module: Instantiating module "expr" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/expr
 Module: Linked to module rlm_expiration
 Module: Instantiating module "expiration" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/expiration
  expiration {
        reply-message = "Password Has Expired  "
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_logintime
 Module: Instantiating module "logintime" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/logintime
  logintime {
        reply-message = "You are calling outside your allowed timespan  "
        minimum-timeout = 60
radiusd: #### Loading Virtual Servers ####
server umbrella-inner { # from file /etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/umbrella-inner
 modules {
 Module: Checking authenticate {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_pap
 Module: Instantiating module "pap" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/pap
  pap {
        encryption_scheme = "auto"
        auto_header = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_chap
 Module: Instantiating module "chap" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/chap
 Module: Linked to module rlm_mschap
 Module: Instantiating module "mschap" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/mschap
  mschap {
        use_mppe = yes
        require_encryption = no
        require_strong = no
        with_ntdomain_hack = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_ldap
 Module: Instantiating module "ldap" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/umbrella_ldap
  ldap {
        server = "127.0.0.1"
        port = 389
        password = "root"
        identity = "cn=admin"
        net_timeout = 1
        timeout = 4
        timelimit = 3
        tls_mode = no
        start_tls = no
        tls_require_cert = "allow"
        basedn = "ou=people,dc=eurofel,dc=eu"
        filter = "(uid=%{%{Stripped-User-Name}:-%{User-Name}})"
        base_filter = "(objectclass=radiusprofile)"
        auto_header = no
        access_attr_used_for_allow = yes
        groupname_attribute = "cn"
        groupmembership_filter = "(|(&(objectClass=GroupOfNames)(member=%{Ldap-UserDn}))(&(objectClass=GroupOfUniqueNames)(uniquemember=%{Ldap-UserDn})))"
        dictionary_mapping = "/etc/freeradius/ldap.attrmap"
        ldap_debug = 0
        ldap_connections_number = 5
        compare_check_items = no
        do_xlat = yes
        edir_account_policy_check = no
        set_auth_type = yes
  }
rlm_ldap: Registering ldap_groupcmp for Ldap-Group
rlm_ldap: Registering ldap_xlat with xlat_name ldap
rlm_ldap: reading ldap<->radius mappings from file /etc/freeradius/ldap.attrmap
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCheckItem mapped to RADIUS $GENERIC$
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusReplyItem mapped to RADIUS $GENERIC$
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusAuthType mapped to RADIUS Auth-Type
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusSimultaneousUse mapped to RADIUS Simultaneous-Use
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCalledStationId mapped to RADIUS Called-Station-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallingStationId mapped to RADIUS Calling-Station-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP lmPassword mapped to RADIUS LM-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP ntPassword mapped to RADIUS NT-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP sambaLmPassword mapped to RADIUS LM-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP sambaNtPassword mapped to RADIUS NT-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP dBCSPwd mapped to RADIUS LM-Password
rlm_ldap: LDAP userPassword mapped to RADIUS Password-With-Header
rlm_ldap: LDAP acctFlags mapped to RADIUS SMB-Account-CTRL-TEXT
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusExpiration mapped to RADIUS Expiration
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusNASIpAddress mapped to RADIUS NAS-IP-Address
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusServiceType mapped to RADIUS Service-Type
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedProtocol mapped to RADIUS Framed-Protocol
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPAddress mapped to RADIUS Framed-IP-Address
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPNetmask mapped to RADIUS Framed-IP-Netmask
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedRoute mapped to RADIUS Framed-Route
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedRouting mapped to RADIUS Framed-Routing
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFilterId mapped to RADIUS Filter-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedMTU mapped to RADIUS Framed-MTU
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedCompression mapped to RADIUS Framed-Compression
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginIPHost mapped to RADIUS Login-IP-Host
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginService mapped to RADIUS Login-Service
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginTCPPort mapped to RADIUS Login-TCP-Port
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallbackNumber mapped to RADIUS Callback-Number
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusCallbackId mapped to RADIUS Callback-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedIPXNetwork mapped to RADIUS Framed-IPX-Network
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusClass mapped to RADIUS Class
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusSessionTimeout mapped to RADIUS Session-Timeout
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusIdleTimeout mapped to RADIUS Idle-Timeout
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTerminationAction mapped to RADIUS Termination-Action
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATService mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Service
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATNode mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Node
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATGroup mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Group
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkLink mapped to RADIUS Framed-AppleTalk-Link
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkNetwork mapped to RADIUS Framed-AppleTalk-Network
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusFramedAppleTalkZone mapped to RADIUS Framed-AppleTalk-Zone
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusPortLimit mapped to RADIUS Port-Limit
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusLoginLATPort mapped to RADIUS Login-LAT-Port
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusReplyMessage mapped to RADIUS Reply-Message
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTunnelType mapped to RADIUS Tunnel-Type
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTunnelMediumType mapped to RADIUS Tunnel-Medium-Type
rlm_ldap: LDAP radiusTunnelPrivateGroupId mapped to RADIUS Tunnel-Private-Group-Id
rlm_ldap: LDAP EAAHash mapped to RADIUS Chargeable-User-Identity
conns: 0x1ff48d0
 Module: Linked to module rlm_eap
 Module: Instantiating module "eap" from file /etc/freeradius/eap.conf
  eap {
        default_eap_type = "ttls"
        timer_expire = 60
        ignore_unknown_eap_types = yes
        cisco_accounting_username_bug = no
        max_sessions = 4096
  }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_md5
 Module: Instantiating eap-md5
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_leap
 Module: Instantiating eap-leap
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_gtc
 Module: Instantiating eap-gtc
   gtc {
        challenge = "Password: "
        auth_type = "PAP"
   }
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_tls
 Module: Instantiating eap-tls
   tls {
        rsa_key_exchange = no
        dh_key_exchange = yes
        rsa_key_length = 512
        dh_key_length = 512
        verify_depth = 0
        CA_path = "/etc/freeradius/certs"
        pem_file_type = yes
        private_key_file = "/etc/freeradius/certs/server.key"
        certificate_file = "/etc/freeradius/certs/server.pem"
        CA_file = "/etc/freeradius/certs/ca.pem"
        private_key_password = "whatever"
        dh_file = "/etc/freeradius/certs/dh"
        random_file = "/dev/urandom"
        fragment_size = 1024
        include_length = yes
        check_crl = no
        cipher_list = "DEFAULT"
        make_cert_command = "/etc/freeradius/certs/bootstrap"
    cache {
        enable = no
        lifetime = 24
        max_entries = 255
    }
    verify {
 Module: Linked to sub-module rlm_eap_ttls
 Module: Instantiating eap-ttls
   ttls {
        default_eap_type = "gtc"
        copy_request_to_tunnel = yes
        use_tunneled_reply = yes
        virtual_server = "umbrella-inner"
        include_length = yes
   }
 Module: Checking authorize {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_realm
 Module: Instantiating module "suffix" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/realm
  realm suffix {
        format = "suffix"
        delimiter = "@"
        ignore_default = no
        ignore_null = no
  }
 Module: Checking session {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_radutmp
 Module: Instantiating module "radutmp" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/radutmp
  radutmp {
        filename = "/var/log/freeradius/radutmp"
        username = "%{User-Name}"
        case_sensitive = yes
        check_with_nas = yes
        perm = 384
        callerid = yes
  }
 Module: Checking post-auth {...} for more modules to load
 Module: Linked to module rlm_detail
 Module: Instantiating module "reply_log" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/detail.log
  detail reply_log {
        detailfile = "/var/log/freeradius/radacct/%{Client-IP-Address}/reply-detail-%Y%m%d"
        header = "%t"
        detailperm = 384
        dirperm = 493
        locking = no
        log_packet_header = no
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_attr_filter
 Module: Instantiating module "attr_filter.access_reject" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/attr_filter
  attr_filter attr_filter.access_reject {
        attrsfile = "/etc/freeradius/attrs.access_reject"
        key = "%{User-Name}"
  }
 Module: Linked to module rlm_python
 Module: Instantiating module "python" from file /etc/freeradius/modules/saml
python_init done
  python {
        mod_instantiate = "freeradius_samlldap"
        func_instantiate = "instantiate"
        mod_post_auth = "freeradius_samlldap"
        func_post_auth = "post_auth"
  }
rlm_python:python_load_function: module 'freeradius_samlldap' is not found
rlm_python:EXCEPT:<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>: /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/python_ldap-2.4.13-py2.7-linux-x86_64.egg/_ldap.so: undefined symbol: PyExc_SystemError
rlm_python:python_load_function: failed to import python function 'freeradius_samlldap.instantiate'
/etc/freeradius/modules/saml[1]: Instantiation failed for module "python"
/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/umbrella-inner[149]: Failed to load module "python".
/etc/freeradius/sites-enabled/umbrella-inner[133]: Errors parsing post-auth section.

Some help with this is very much appreciated! :-)

Stefan