rlm_python

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Aug 21 09:41:08 CEST 2013

On 08/20/2013 02:27 PM, stefan.paetow at diamond.ac.uk wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently attempting to use rlm_python to query LDAP (with
> python-ldap) and then return an XML string in a VSA
> (SAML-AAA-Assertion). However, when I try to load it, I get the
> dreaded "undefined symbol: PyExc_SystemError" error. This is on
> Ubuntu 12 with, I know, I know, FreeRADIUS 2.1.10. Python-LDAP was

Well... as Alan says, upgrade. Particularly if "you know".

However - embedding python is a pain in the arse. Various versions have
issues with the module.so not linking to libpython.so, and not pulling
in all the symbols it should. See:

http://bugs.python.org/issue4434

...and try not to despair at the (ahem) confusion of the python dev, and
the various mouth-breathers who suggest static linking :o(

Try "ldd <blah>/_ldap.so" and see if it links to libpython.so. If not,
that's your problem, and there isn't much you can do about it because
python is broken on your system.

The OP in the bug above seems to think it's fixed for him in Python 2.5,
but TBH I suspect distro-specific build-time options, rather than any
change to the python runtime.

> built on the local machine for the newest version (although the
> existing version in the Ubuntu repository has the same problem).
>
> Freeradius_samlldap exists in the correct path for Python eggs, and

Just to point out that this is of course not the issue. It's one of the
modules that this tries to pull in.