sqlippool duplicated IP assignments

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Dec 6 17:59:54 CET 2013

Antonio Modesto Amaral Sousa wrote:
> I'm using freeradius-2.1.12_1 with MySQL 5.1 and sqlippool configured to
> assign IP's to my PPPoE clients, I redistribute these routes with iBGP,
> until yesterday it was working fine, the problem started after a
> blackout that happened last night.

  When a blackout happens, the PPPoE server SHOULD tell the RADIUS
server that all of the sessions have been dropped.  If it doesn't, the
RADIUS server has no idea the sessions have been dropped.

> I have a lot of clients that are
> being assigned duplicated IP addresses and I just don't know why,

  That shouldn't happen, even in the above scenario.  It should be
assigned new IPs, not IPs which are already assigned.

  Or, maybe the PPPoE server told FreeRADIUS that the sessions were all
dropped... then let the users keep the old IP addresses.

> I've
> configured a long lease time for each assignment so that the NAS has a
> good time frame to transmit the interim updates, my radippool table is
> using the engine InnoDB and I think the select lock should be working
> fine. Any suggestions?

  Blame the PPPoE server for everything.  FreeRADIUS assumes that IP's are:

- assigned when it says to assign them

- NOT assigned to other users

- timed out when Session-Timeout = 0

- closed when the PPPoE server / NAS reboots

  FreeRADIUS also assumes that it gets told when something happens with
the user session.  If the PPPoE server isn't doing the right thing, and
isn't telling FreeRADIUS what it's doing... FreeRADIUS can do nothing.