Load Balancing

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Feb 12 15:19:26 CET 2013

Muhammad Nadeem wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to freeradius. I wantto implement load balancing on freeradius
> servers (not on backend database).
> I want that if a bulk of requests are received, these requests should be
> distributed evenly among multiple freeradius servers.
> Can any one please tell me, how could i achieve this goal.

  The documentation is clear.  Load-balancing is simple to configure.
It's documented in proxy.conf.

  My guess is your test is wrong.  You're probably sending packets in
*series*.  The latency added by a proxy slows down series, so that it
takes longer.

  If you send packets in parallel, you would see a higher latency for
each packet, but the ability to process more packets per second.

  You've admitted to not knowing much about RADIUS.  If the test doesn't
do what you expect, the obvious conclusion is to blame the test, not
FreeRADIUS.