Understanding the IP Pool module

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Feb 13 11:16:12 CET 2013

On 02/13/2013 07:23 AM, Бен Томпсон wrote:

> One thing I still don't understand though is how best to use ippool
> for DHCP. I don't understand where and how I should call the module
> during a DHCP transaction. For example I can call it during
> DHCP-Discover, but it seems that if I call it again during
> DHCP-Request I might get different address even when the key is the
> same. I will continue to to study the code to see why this happens and
> if I figure it out I will report back with my findings.

With difficulty, in short.

The ippool module is old, and predates the DHCP functionality. You would
need to "fake up" some RADIUS attributes in the DHCP packet, then ensure
that ippool is called in a manner that hands out IPs correctly. This may
prove to be impossible.

There is an example of doing this with the sqlippool module, which is
rather better suited to this; by customising the queries you can ensure
that different IPs in DISCOVER/REQUEST are not a problem. See the GIT
repo for details:

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/master/raddb/policy.d/dhcp

https://github.com/FreeRADIUS/freeradius-server/blob/master/raddb/mods-available/dhcp_sqlippool