User disconnects but stays online in radius

Mobin Yazarlou yazarlou.m at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 15:00:26 CET 2013

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Phil Mayers <p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk>wrote:

> On 19/02/13 11:23, Mobin Yazarlou wrote:
>
>  Hi Mike,
>>   Now it is an hour that I am looking for a built-in solution or a
>> ready-to-use script. The only thing I found was Idle-Timeout
>> <http://freeradius.org/rfc/**rfc2865.html#Idle-Timeout<http://freeradius.org/rfc/rfc2865.html#Idle-Timeout>>
>> attribute. This
>>
>> problem could be solved if RADIUS was responsible for handling this
>> attribute but from what I read, it's the NAS's responsibility.
>>

> I think you're confused.
>
> Idle-Timeout serves a specific purpose; it tells the NAS to disconnect the
> client if the client is idle for a certain amount of time.
>
> It's nothing to do with stale/dead accounting sessions.
>
> I've already spelt out the options there, and they revolve entirely around
> trying to make your accounting robust, and dealing with the edge cases
> where it is not.
>
> To repeat:
>
> 1. Have two RADIUS servers, and have each NAS talk to both
> 2. Setup robust accounting->SQL on both RADIUS servers - see the example
> configs that come with the server for this
> 3. Use interim accounting
> 4. Use a script to expire sessions without an update in X*interim-interval
>
> That should get you pretty much all the way there.
>
> -
> List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/**
> list/users.html <http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html>

 Thanks for your help Phil, your comments helped me a lot on this topic,
But I am not confused :). I am just trying to find the easiest *practical*
approach.

 I agree that Idle-Timeout can not help us with this problem and I said *it
could be* a solution if radius was in charge of handling this attribute.
But since NAS takes care of this attribute, it won't help us.

 Please read my previous message, I wrote some other tips about fixing this
problem but I didn't come up with the complete solution yet. I would be
thankful if you keep participating until we achieve to a practical solution.

Thank you,
Moby

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 4:22 PM, Russell Mike <radius.sir at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Moby,
>
> That is brilliant, i also read after your advise, and i feel that nothing
> can be easiest and effective than this, once Freeraiuds knows the ideal
> timeout value, user can be logged out by Freeradius this is what we were
> trying to do. Lets use it and see, i trust that it would do.
>
> Great Thanks !! For Helping Community By Sharing Solutions.
>
> Thanks Moby & Phil
>

> Regards --RM

Hi Mike,
 Thank you for showing your interest in this. I wish this could be fixed
using Idle-Timeout attribute but since NAS is responsible for handling it,
It won't help us much.

 When NAS handles Idle-Timeout, this attribute won't change anything if
radius is down. But if radius was responsible for checking connections
against Idle-Timeout value, this problem could be fixed even when NAS was
down.

Thank you,
Moby