Different IP addresses from home radius server

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Jan 11 22:35:56 CET 2013

Greg Rutz wrote:
> We are using FreeRadius 2.1.12 as a proxy to a remote radius server.
> The remote server (not under our direct control) receives RADIUS request
> messages on one IP address, but sends the response out a different
> interface (and thus has a diffferent IP). FreeRadius is rejecting the
> response since the IP does not match that of the request.  Is there a
> way to configure FreeRadius to allow this?

  No.

  Tell the administrator of the remote server to fix his system.

  RADIUS *requires* replies to come from the same IP.  Anything else is
broken.  All RADIUS servers since 2000 or so should be able to work
correctly when they have multiple IPs.

  The remote admin has no excuse for running a broken RADIUS server.