Access-challenge timeout on IOS

David Mitton david at mitton.com
Thu Jul 4 23:32:41 CEST 2013

Oh for sure...
I used Cisco 1200s @ RSA and the Windows EAP interfaces

I was always fighting with the system timing out the authentication
before a user would time in a token code.  This frequently takes a
minute or more, because people have to get their token, often they
wait for the code to change, so they have a minute to read it, then
type it in...

On Windows 7, we had more problems, so I decided to explore some not
well understood options of the EAP interface.  Their was on option
that supposed to take 60 seconds (so their Tech support told me) I
tried it.

It failed so quickly my head was spinning.  I got out Wireshark and
traced the protocol.  When this option was selected, the MS EAP/RADIUS
client sent an Session-Timeout value of 6!  That AP killed the session
faster than you could type a character.  Removing the option, the
value Windows sends is 60.

If you google hard you will find that some versions of Cisco APs have
a command line option to ignore the attribute and allow you to specify
your own value.
Mine honored the command, but did not have it in the Management GUI.

I believe the "new" Windows EAPhost API now allows the EAP developer
to set this value.  But there are other 1 minute timers hardwired into
the Windows EAP interface that I had to work around.

Dave.