PEAP using different CA?

Stefan Winter stefan.winter at restena.lu
Wed Jul 10 16:17:18 CEST 2013

Hello,

>>> To avoid the need of installing our CA certificate on every Windows
>>> machine, we´ll buy the server certificate from a public CA.

Having the CA cert installed only does half of the job; for EAP
configuration purposes, the CA must explicitly marked as trusted /for
this EAP identity/.

So you still need to tell users to set a checkbox besides that CA. The
difference to importing the CA before that is not much more work; on
Windows, it's a couple of clicks only.

> If this is a usability issue, I recommend you look at dissolvable setup clients like cloudpath, or investigate the various certificate/settings bundles that things like iPhones support.

And since he is from a university and likely his deployment is an
eduroam one, you should also mention the dissolvable client setup tool
"eduroam CAT", https://cat.eduroam.org , which is free and tailored to
eduroam.

It will install private CAs just as fine and automated as it does
commercial CAs.

Greetings,

Stefan Winter

--