Ubuntu FreeRadius does not recoginize some perl.so symbols and does not compile from source and is also outdated (Why is there no new version in SID? Is the package still maintained?)

Thomas Glanzmann thomas at glanzmann.de
Sun Jul 21 18:18:39 CEST 2013

Hello Arran,

> > Can't load '/usr/lib/perl5/auto/Authen/Krb5/Simple/Simple.so' for module Authen::Krb5::Simple: /usr/lib/perl5/auto/Authen/Krb5/Simple/Simple.so: undefined symbol: PL_thr_key at /usr/lib/perl/5.14/DynaLoader.pm line 184.

> * http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=1008893

> The error comes from a module compiled against threaded Perl while
> your Perl installation is not threaded (probably because you
> recompiled it).  The solution is to recompile the module against the
> new Perl.

strange. After recompiling the problem is not gone, but if I compile a
different vesion (freeradius-2.2.0) from scratch it works, I will retry
with the vanilla build.

> What are you talking about?

I'm frustrated about that the Debian package is a) broken and b)
outdated. I hope that someone updates uploads it to SID and fixes the
above error for the current stable release.

I put the list on CC because I get here very valuable input, like the
hint that the problem is that FreeRadius was compiled against single
threaded version of perl.so while the Authen::Krb5::Simple is compiled
against multithreaded version of perl.

Cheers,
        Thomas