design question

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Mon Mar 4 21:56:11 CET 2013

Greetings,

I am configuring a general purpose RADIUS server that any number of
clients can connect to for authn - it uses a PostgreSQL DB as the
backend datastore. I would also like to setup a secondary RADIUS
server listening on a different port (ie. 1814) and use the same Pg DB
as a backend, but use a "restricted" view as the "users" table, then
configure devices (certain network gear) that wish to only allow users
in the "restricted" view to use that secondary RADIUS server and
corresponding port.

I am currently using Debian 6.0 with corresponding FR 2.1.10+dfsg-2+squeeze1.

My questions are these:

Has anyone here setup a second instance of FR running on the same
system as their primary instance, but with different configs? Do you
have any suggestions for layout or keeping configs/logs straight?

Or said another way, how much confusion will there be in
/etc/freeradius (default Debian config dir) due to the second
instance? Is it worth it, just to have a single system have all of
your RADIUS servers or should I just stand up another virtual server
and use that instead?

Thanks for any help or hints!

-matt zagrabelny