Auth-Type krb5 not recognized by v2.1.12

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Tue Mar 26 00:42:36 CET 2013

Hi folks,

Recently my server received an in-place upgrade from Debian squeeze to
wheezy (still testing). Along with that, freeradius was upgraded from
version 2.1.10 to 2.1.12, but as a result it no longer works.

The problem is that I use "DEFAULT Auth-Type = krb5" in /etc/freeradius/
users, and this now leads to an error in the radius.log that prevents
freeradius from starting up:

   Error: /etc/freeradius/users[207]: Parse error (check) for \
     entry DEFAULT: Unknown value krb5 for attribute Auth-Type

Interestingly, if I use "kerberos" instead of "krb5" for the default auth-
type, there is no such error in the radius.log, but I still can't
authenticate. Downgrading to 2.1.10 quickly fixes the problem.

Is this new behavior intentional, or is it simply a bug? In either
case, is there a workaround or a code fix for this, or should I
continue to use 2.1.10?

Thanks,

Jaap