multihomed server on isolated networks

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Mar 29 21:37:14 CET 2013

Lev Bronshtein wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:
> What this means is that if my DHCP server has an interface in
> 192.168.0.0/16 and another interface in 10.10.0.0/16, and it's server
> identifier is 192.168.1.10 and that reply is sent out to the
> 10.10.0.0/16 network the clients and routers on that network do not
> posses appropriate routing information to communicate with the DHCP
> server

  Ah, OK.

> I think this is exactly what I need.  Thanks so much!

  It should help.

  What you can also do is to leverage the configuration files.  They can
be used as a read-only key-value store, and queried at run time.  If
you've configured the DHCP server to listen on a particular IP, you'll have:

listen {
	type = dhcp
	ipaddr = 192.168.1.1

  You can then do:

	update reply {
		DHCP-DHCP-Server-Identifier := "%{listen:ipaddr}"
	}

  Which sets the Server-Identifier to the "ipaddr" field in the "listen"
section.

  It's a neat way to avoid more complicated configurations.