Updating Reply Attributes in authenticate section

Matthew Ceroni matthewceroni at gmail.com
Wed May 1 23:52:49 CEST 2013

In my authorize section I am matching LDAP groups to set VLAN attributes as
such:

       if (Ldap-Group == "netCoreClass-IT") {
               update reply {
                       Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 := 102
        elsif (Ldap-Group == "netCoreClass-engineering") {
                update reply {
                        Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 := 112
        elsif (Ldap-Group == "netCoreClass-sales") {
                update reply {
                        Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 := 116
        elsif (Ldap-Group == "netCoreClass-HR_Facility") {
                update reply {
                        Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 := 120
        elsif (Ldap-Group == "netCoreClass-finance") {
                update reply {
                        Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 := 124

Authentication is against Active Directory. So while a user may get
assigned to a VLAN based of their group membership, if they fail to
actually authenticate I want to change what VLAN they are assigned to (want
to put them into a guest VLAN).

How can I update reply attributes further down the chain?

The reason I am doing this is I have an old Cisco wireless LAN controller
that can't fall back to MAC 802.1x authentication. Therefore if a user
fails with their credentials they fail to authenticate all together. So
when coming from the wireless LAN controller I want always Accept.

I tried putting the following in the users file:

DEFAULT Called-Station-Id == "e8-40-40-cd-d6-10:sid_802"
        Tunnel-Type:1 = 13,
        Tunnel-Medium-Type:1 = 6,
        Tunnel-Private-Group-Id:1 = 104

Which accomplishes that radius never rejects even on a failed
authentication, but the Tunnel-Private-Group:Id:1 doesn't get modified from
what was set in the authorize section.

Thanks