smbpasswd or etc_smbpasswd?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed May 8 00:17:18 CEST 2013

Hi, everybody,

I was setting up freeradius to authenticate against an smbpasswd file,
and got tripped up by the sample config.

I have:

   modules/smbpasswd

with:

   passwd smbpasswd {
         filename =

and:

   sites-available/default (and inner-tunnel)

with:

         #  If you are using /etc/smbpasswd, and are also doing
         #  mschap authentication, the un-comment this line, and
         #  configure the 'etc_smbpasswd' module, above.
         etc_smbpasswd

under 'authorize'.

 From what I can tell, these all need to match, with either
"etc_smbpasswd" or "smbpasswd" in all each location.  If they differ, I
get a startup error, something like:

   radiusd.conf[862]: etc_smbpasswd: Module instantiation failed.
   radiusd.conf[1866] Unknown module "etc_smbpasswd".
   radiusd.conf[1789] Failed to parse authorize section.

If they match, it works great.

I'm seeing the same sample configuration on el5, el6, and on git head,
so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks,
-Bill

--
Bill McGonigle, Owner
BFC Computing, LLC
Email, IM, VOIP: bill at bfccomputing.com
Social networks: bill_mcgonigle/bill.mcgonigle