Problem with using MySQL for radius clients

Mik J mikydevel at yahoo.fr
Sat Nov 9 12:03:41 CET 2013

Hello,

I know that by default you configure your radius clients in the file /etc/raddb/clients.conf
However I would like them to be entered in MySQL

I have modified the file /etc/raddb/sites-enabled/default and I expect
the Freeradius server to check the clients in MySQL instead of
clients.conf
authorize {
sql
#files
}

And added an input into the nas table
INSERT INTO  nas VALUES (NULL ,  '192.168.0.1',  'myNAS',  'other', NULL ,  'mysecret', NULL , NULL ,  'RADIUS Client'
);

Unfortunately this doesn't work because
1) $ radtest testuser passsecret 127.0.0.1 1812 testing123 <= works and testing123 is what is specified in clients.conf
2) $ radtest testuser passsecret 127.0.0.1 1812 mysecret <= doesn't work and what's specified in the nas table

Since I have commented "files" I would also expect the freeradius server not to check clients.conf

Could someone point out my misunderstanding ?
Thank you