FR3.0 and OS X lion, getting Unknown eap method

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Fri Nov 15 16:28:34 CET 2013

On 15 Nov 2013, at 14:48, Alan DeKok <aland at deployingradius.com> wrote:

> Alex Sharaz wrote:
>> Well I thought I’d got FR3 working on OS X but seem to have an issue with
>>
>> Error: /usr/local/etc/freeradius/mods-enabled/eap[17]: Unknown EAP
>> method <pick a module>
>
>  Well, that's broken.  However, I do all my development on Mac OSX, and
> Arran does his on Lion.  So it *does* work.

Arran does his on OSX 10.9 Mavericks on a shiny new Mid 2012 MBP,
but anyway, it shouldn't really matter...

>> If I go into mods-enabled/eap and comment out md5 then The message
>> apears for the next method defined and so on. Looking in /usr/local/lib/
>> however I can see,
>
>  I suspect there's another issue.  What does the *rest* of the debug
> output say?

Well that message is not related to dlopen or any library loading, it seems
like maybe it hasn't picked up the dictionaries, or is using an old version
of them... Check your freeradius.internal file for EAP-Type and that it has
an enum value for tls.

Here's the relevant code:

method = eap_name2type(name);
if (method == PW_EAP_INVALID) {
	cf_log_err_cs(cs, "Unknown EAP method %s", name);
	return -1;
}

eap_type_t eap_name2type(char const *name)
{
	DICT_VALUE	*dv;
	dv = dict_valbyname(PW_EAP_TYPE, 0, name);
	if (dv) {
		return dv->value;
	}
	return PW_EAP_INVALID;
}

We know name is correct because it's printed in the debug message, so it
suggests that the dictionaries aren't being read in.

-Arran

FreeRADIUS Development Team