Experiencing a proplem with pap authentication using Freeradius 2.2.2

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Fri Nov 15 16:35:58 CET 2013

dwnek at dollartree.com wrote:
> We currently run 3 instances of freeradius 2.1.8 on Red Hat Enterprise 4
> 32-bit and it works flawlessly for us.  Thank you for that!  I have built a
> Red Hat Enterprise 6 64-bit server and installed freeradius 2.2.2 on it.
> When I change the RADIUS Server IP address on a device that currently works
> with the RHEL4/freeradius 2.1.8 to the IP address of the new server, I am
> unable to authenticate.

  RADIUS is *very* dependent on IP addresses.

> Here is the output from starting up freeradius 2.2.2 in -Xxx debug mode

  PLEASE follow instructions.  We don't need the extra crap produced by
"-Xxx".  Just "-X" is good enough.

> and
> an attempt to authenticate.  If anyone can help me to resolve this I would
> be greatly appreciative.  I can answer any questions and post configuration
> file contents if required.

  The point of the debug output is that you usually don't need to post
the config files.  The ones which are used produce useful information in
the debug output.  The ones which aren't used don't matter.

> Fri Nov 15 09:25:30 2013 : Info: ++[eap] = noop
> Fri Nov 15 09:25:30 2013 : Info: [files] users: Matched entry dwnek at line
> 22
> Fri Nov 15 09:25:30 2013 : Info: [files]        expand: Hello, %{User-Name}
> -> Hello, dwnek

  So... what's that entry on line 22?  Does it contain a password for
the user?

> Fri Nov 15 09:25:30 2013 : Info: [pap] WARNING! No "known good" password
> found for the user.  Authentication may fail because of this.

  Which means that entry doesn't contain a password for the user.