How to modify rlm_example to implement a new eap-type authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Nov 26 14:51:16 CET 2013

Michael kevin wrote:
> I followed the site
> http://wiki.freeradius.org/contributing/Modules2
> I tried to modify rlm_example.c to implement a new eap-type
> authentication(eg something like eap-MD5).

  It takes a significant amount of effort to implement a new EAP type.
I wouldn't suggest it as a starting project.

> I read the above site several times, but I still do not know what I
> should do for"Comfiguring the Module"in the"Compiling Your Module"
> section on the above site.

  You're reading documentation, not code.  The only way to understand
how to code is to read the code.

  I would suggest picking rlm_eap_md5, and reading all of it's source
code.  Then, read the code of the functions used by EAP-MD5.  If you
don't understand how it works, use a debugging to walk through running code.

  Once you understand EAP-MD5, you're ready to write your own EAP type.
 Until then, you won't understand the basics.  And everything needed to
write an EAP type is built on those basics.