FR3 Debugging Switches

Arran Cudbard-Bell a.cudbardb at freeradius.org
Wed Oct 9 17:17:28 CEST 2013

On 9 Oct 2013, at 15:22, Adam Bishop <Adam.Bishop at JA.NET> wrote:

> It appears the debugging switches don't work quite as I'd expect in FreeRADIUS 3 when RadSec is configured.
>
>  # radiusd -fxx -l stdout
>
> Works as expected (threaded debugging with no timestamps), however:
>
>  # radiusd -fXx -l stdout
>  <snip>
>  Wed Oct  9 14:44:18 2013 : Error: /opt/freeradiuss/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/tls[7]: Threading must be enabled for TLS sockets to function properly.
>  Wed Oct  9 14:44:18 2013 : Error: /opt/freeradiuss/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/tls[7]: You probably need to do 'radiusd -fxx -l stdout' for debugging
>
> '-fXxx -l stdout' reacts in the same way, but '-fxxx -l stdout' does run and produce timestamps, so I think this one is just a documentation issue - I can't find anything doc/ that says xxx is a valid combination.  radiusd --help also indicates that -fXx should still be valid.

man radiusd

       -x     Finer-grained debug mode. In this mode the server will print details of every request on it's stdout output. You can specify this option multiple times (-x -x or -xx) to get more detailed output.

-X will FORCE the server into single threaded mode, -f -x != -X, and so the server will refuse to start when TCP is required.

> Similarly, when doing a config check:
>
>  # ./sbin/radiusd -Cfxx -l stdout
>  <snip>
>  /opt/freeradiuss/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/tls[7]: Threading must be enabled for TLS sockets to function properly.
>  /opt/freeradiuss/etc/raddb/sites-enabled/tls[7]: You probably need to do 'radiusd -fxx -l stdout' for debugging
>
> The init scripts for debian (possibly RHEL too) trigger the latter one, as it runs a config check on restart (which bails out due to the error above).

Ok that's a legitimate issue and should be fixed.

FreeRADIUS Development Team