Switch 802.1x authentication and switch authentication

Alan DeKok aland at deployingradius.com
Tue Oct 15 22:22:04 CEST 2013

Matthew Ceroni wrote:
> Right now I have a solution for the case where one set of switches use
> the Radius server for 802.1x and another set of switches just use the
> radius server for authentication. For this I used huntgroups and added
> the following section to my users file:
>
> DEFAULT LDAP-GROUP == "IT.Americas_sec", Huntgroup-Name = switchAuth
>      Service-Type = Administrative-User,
>      cisco-avpair = "shell:priv-lvl=15",

  Which gives people admin access if (1) they're in the LDAP-Group, and
(b) if they're in the Hutgroup.

  Note that it doesn't check if they *asked* for admin access!

> That allows only people in the IT.Americas_sec to authenticate on the
> switch (and sets their privilege level to 15).
>
> The huntgroup specifies the IP addresses of the switches that use the
> radius server for authentication.

  Yes.

> But this solution won't work when a switch does both 802.1x and uses
> the radius server for authentication.
>
> What is the best way to accomplish this?

  Add an additional check.  Add a check for the Service-Type in the
first line, too.

DEFAULT Service-Type == Administrastive-User, LDAP-GROUP ==