interaction between Virtual server & Authorize section

Okis Chuang okischuang at outlook.com
Mon Oct 21 10:51:07 CEST 2013

Thanks Fajar for quick response!

Now I know there exists mutual influence among virtual servers.

Oddly, instead of seeing the error message " There are no DB handles to use
", there are bulk of "Discarding duplicate request from NMS - ID xx due to
unfinished request xxxx", then after about short period of time, it showed
msg "WARNING: Unresponsive child for request xxxx, in component authorized
module", can I still say that is due to problematic DB?

> > That is, even virtual server ?A? only has few operation to check,

> > while ?B? has much more things need to check and unfortunately maybe

> > it could have low performance DB backend, does B might occupy

> > resource in whole Authorize section so that A also become more and more
busier?

> > **

> Yes

> >  **

> > In fact, I got many times of Error msg ?child is hung for request in

> > component authorize module? in radius.log. I would not think the

> > response to simulated request from our NMS per **minute**. Our wifi

> > auth request per day is among 2000~3000 in average.

> only 2k per day? That's tiny. Something if seriously wrong with your

> db if it can't handle that much requests.

> IIRC one way to isolate problematic db is to use small num_sql_socks

> in sql.conf (default is 5). If the db is slow, it should bomb out

> quickly with "There are no DB handles to use" errors, but there should

> be only a small count of FR threads interacting with that db so that

> processes not using it (e.g. other virtual server) should still work just
fine.